Aiming for career in Integration Tech.
If you are planning a career shift to Integration Technology, make sure you have these in place. Some handy tips that might make your move smooth.
1. First make sure you have a solid understanding in the tool set. You cannot make it to the next level without understanding the tools for EAI.
2. Study OOA/OOD and UML and be able to understand/produce design deliverables with UML.
3. Collect a library of design patterns from books and past projects in other technologies. Better to have some understanding of patterns@work.
4. Develop your written and verbal skills by looking for opportunities to produce design deliverables. This might help you in the long run.
5. Look for opportunities to act as a technical lead always seeking to lead bigger efforts to the point where you can lead large projects (from a technical perspective). People skills, negotiation and communication are critical at any step.
There are some good reading, try to have a look at those books.
Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions by Gregor Hohpe, Bobby Woolf.
Enterprise Service Bus by David Chappell.
Next Generation Application Integration: From Simple Information to Web Services by David S. Linthicum.
Enterprise SOA : Service-Oriented Architecture Best Practices by Dirk Krafzig, Karl Banke, Dirk Slama.
Web Services by Gustavo Alonso, Fabio Casati, Harumi Kuno, Vijay Machiraj.