|Image Credit - Stuart Miles|
SEO or search engine optimization is a way to increase the rankings of your content on the search engines. It helps in generating much required traffic & engagement by having your content getting listed at the top by the various search engines. Content on your blog is no different. It helps to follow certain rules while writing your blog post to have it discovered by search engines & rank it above other blog post. In addition to traffic & helps you generate $$ too.
Last week, over the #blogchat Twitter Chat, we had this interesting topic being discussed. Those 60 minutes were pure pearls of wisdom having Lee Odden (@LeeOdden) co-host it along with Mack Collier (@MackCollier). Guess, it was Lee's second time that he co-hosted #blogchat & this time especially to teach the lesser mortals about optimizing their blogs for search engines and social network. We were indeed thankful to Lee as he was away in Antwerp for a speaking event and it was 3 AM his time we started twitter chat.
Listing down few of the pearls from the event that I helped me learn on optimizing blog in addition to the Content Strategy tips:
- Optimization extends beyond keywords & links
- Blog SEO is a cycle: Plan, implement, monitor for editor opportunity & progress, measure, refine, repeat.
- Write on-topic, on-target - keywords will come up organically.
- Write blog content around a keyword.
- Ensure you have your keywords in the title & first paragraph
- 1-3 keywords for every 100 words
- Engage on Social Media - Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest (it drives 5% as much traffic as Twitter & Google)
- Share on Google+, remember they own Google Search
- Use "Permalink" on blog so title and keywords show up in URL
- Optimize to share, engage. More of each will push your search engine rankings
- Dish out Content regularly, ensure you have an editorial calendar
- Bloggers should be aware that Google is actually penalizing some forms of SEO now.
- Overuse of keywords in a post
- Search engines, Google or other, understand text - metadata, links and not images.
And do follow @LeeOdden & @MackCollier. They did a great job in driving this session.
Do you have any other interesting tip to share on SEO for blog. Share it with us using the comments section below. Would like to hear your tips.